Thursday, February 7, 2013

Elisa Dahan Interview, Mackage Co-Creative Director, Stylish Mom & MILF Mom Is Looking Fabulous

With today being the official kickoff for Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, here in New York, I’m thrilled to feature Mackage Co-Creative Director and uber-stylish mom of two Elisa Dahan. This Canadian-born designer is committed to crafting outwear that is sexy and sleek with a modern twist, and Elisa applied that alluring philosophy to her pregnancy and post-belly style routine. As you’ll see, she’s certainly early the MILF (Mom Is Looking Fabulous) title.
Elisa Dahan, Co-Creative Director Mackage

Pamela Pekerman: My motto on pregnancy and motherhood is: never surrender! How do you embody this motto in your life?
Elisa Dahan: Pregnancy is beautiful and sexy – show it off!

PP: What tips do you have for women who want to maintain their style while pregnant?
ED: Stretch fabrics will become your best friend throughout these nine months. The worst thing you can do to your bump is wear baggy clothing—bodycon pieces celebrate your belly and show off your curves.

PP: What was your biggest beauty issue during pregnancy?
ED: Stretch marks were most definitely something I wanted to avoid so I took preventative measures! Mama Mio creams work wonders – trust me!

PP: No need to convince me. I’m a huge fan, as well. Their Tummy Rub Oil and Boob Tube are part of my nightly ritual. Switching back to style, your specialty, what was your go-to outfit/item while pregnant, that made you feel fabulous?
Elisa Dahan with her husband and kids
ED: I would wear bodycon dresses or short shorts with a fitted blouse. Drawing attention to my legs made me feel sexy during my pregnancy. I think that all women should find one asset they love and flaunt it during their pregnancy

PP: We’re cut from the same cloth.  I don’t understand why a woman would want to all of a sudden drape herself in oversized, asexual clothing. Embrace the bellybody it’s key for your self-esteem and, of course, it keeps the chemistry in your relationship at full sizzle!
ED: Yes!

PP: Now, how do you teach your children the value of style, personal grooming and appearance, which clearly matter to you?
ED: My son is absorbing our sense of style and he wants to be just like us. All it takes is a little encouragement and your kids will be on board. My three year old son enjoys when I try clothes on him. When I dress him up, the first thing he’ll do is pull up his sleeves for an edgier look and then he’ll go to the mirror to check himself out.

PP: I hate the word “balance”, but you certainly have a on your plate. How do you incorporate motherhood, being a wife and a successful designer at Mackage, into your life?
ED: I love a challenge. If you want it all, it’s about making the time for what is important to you. I work hard, but I am also very domestic. To date, I have not bought pre-made baby food for my babies and I make dinner for my hubby almost every night, even after a long day at work. I love having a career, being a wife and a mom; it fulfills me and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
 
PP: I noticed you mentioned wife before mom. I often say that my husband is number one, and without that solid, romantic connection everything else can’t work, namely having a happy family. How do you make sure that you and your relationship are part of the equation, and it’s not just about the kids?  
ED: The key is to have date night with your other half weekly. It gives you both a chance to stop and reconnect. However, it is equally important to focus on yourself; I treat myself to a manicure every week and don’t know what’d I do without those 30 minutes.
Elisa Dahan
PP: In two lines, express your feelings about motherhood?
ED: There is absolutely nothing more genuine than the love of your kids. Being a mom is amazing and scary at the same time, because you are responsible to help shape your children and they trust you blindly. I lost my mother at a young age. I know how important the role is, as I missed having that warm person it every day.
 
PS Check out Elise's blog www.infashionated.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment