Friday, February 15, 2013

Vivienne Tam Fall 2013, Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week

This season, I wasn’t able to attend fashion week. Running from show to show, standing even for ten minutes and worrying that someone would elbow me, just didn’t sound appealing or glamorous. Plus, aside from the obvious baby project, I’m cooking up something else that’s craz-y town amazing … details to come later in the year. As such, I sent my wonderful intern, Tina Yu, to a few shows. Here’s her reporting.
Vivienne Tam, Fall 2013

Vivienne Tam Fall/Winter 2013 Runway Show
Similar to other collections this season, including Tracy Reese’s, Vivienne Tam’s Fall/Winter 2013 line incorporates red and black. The difference is that Tam almost exclusively used these hues. While the silhouettes were conservative, the collection was sophisticated and politicized, vis-à-vis prints featuring abstract cartoons of President Barack Obama and the number 44. On many of her pieces, Tam used lines in unique ways, while giving us room to breathe with beautifully tailored solid dresses and coats. Towards the middle of the show, there were more separates that utilized leather and plaid, again reinforcing the sophistication of the woman she has in mind. Although I found this collection more masculine and sharp than some of her previous work, the polish is not lost. I only wish I could’ve seen more of her stunning dresses.


Vivienne Tam, Fall 2013

Tina's shots of Vivienne Tam, Fall 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment