Monday, November 12, 2012

Pregnancy Tales: My Face Looks Likes Mars, aka Pimple Drama

I woke up this morning, sashayed into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and found more pregger presents - more red bumps, white spots, PIMPLES. My face is officially turning into Mars thanks to hormones caused by the little bun cooking in my oven. It's devastating, unattractive and a confidence kills. Oh, wait, am I supposed to feel grateful at every step of this pregnancy? Am I supposed to go with the flow? I WILL NOT SURRENDER. 

I don’t care if you are pregnant, post-menopausal or PMSing; you always need to look your best and take care of yourself. It’s not easy, but it’s your job. If you want to avoid losing your sense of self, sexuality and appeal to men (oh ya, babies can be marriage or at least romance killers) then I suggest you follow my mantra: Always Be Your Best You. 

Back to the pimples. I've reached out to three amazing beauty/skin experts to share their tips on how to fight the barrage of pimples popping up on my face. First, some thoughts from my friend Amber Katz of BeautyBloggingJunkie.com
PP What causes pimples?  
AK Anything from hormones to dry-out from a plane ride to the clogging of pores from sleeping in your makeup can lead to breakouts. When you're pregnant, it's the hormones! 
PP What is the best method to deal with pimples?   
AK  For mild to moderate acne, Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel Pads work well. Use them every other morning to exfoliate. I also love Mario Badescu Drying Potion 
PP What's a pimple myth you'd love to pop?  
AK One myth is that you shouldn't moisturize and that oils will further aggravate the acne. This is entirely untrue. The less you moisturize your face, the more it overproduces oil to compensate. Natural oils like Rodin Olio Lusso and La Face Hydrating are a great bet as they contain no mineral oil, which can clog pores.  
PP What is the best makeup to use to cover up pimples?  
AK My favorites are Cle de Peau Concealer for its dry consistency, which lasts longer and Hard Candy Glamoflauge Concealer Pencil. The name's clever and it works perfectly to dab on top of eruptions that can feel like a second head is growing out of your skin.

Check back next week for insight from a dermatologist and beauty-industry veteran. 

1 comment: